13 January 2010

Virtual Strangers (a Play in One Act)


FADE IN:

INT. - POPULAR SINGLES BAR - NIGHT

In a bar specifically for singles who are seeking partners. patrons mill about, as is normal for most social establishments. But they are all moving about inside a white cardboard box. On the outside of the boxes, there is text. Each of them is also wearing a bag over their head.

The text on the boxes is information about themselves. A profile. Sometimes there's only one line of text, sometimes the surface of the boxes is filled up with a great deal of detail.

One Boxed & Bagged person approaches another.


B&B1
Hi. I like your profile text.


B&B2
Thank you. I saw yours too...
but there's not much there,
could you tell me more about yourself?

B&B1
Well I would prefer to let you get to know me gradually.
I'll be happy to tell you more if you'll go out with me.


B&B2
Well, what do you look like?
You know I can't really tell with that bag over your head.


B&B1
Oh, I'm really attractive, Trust me. I wouldn't lie.


B&B2
Well, I'd like to have an idea if I'm
attracted before committing to a date.


B&B1
You'll know that when we go out.
When we leave the boxes and bags at home.
Don't worry. Everyone says I'm really good looking.

B&B2
(hesitating)
Well...I also need to know enough about you
to feel safe going out with you.
B&B1
Wow, maybe you're being paranoid.
B&B2
Don't you want to know what I look like?
B&B1
Oh, that doesn't matter to me.
I'm interested in what's on the inside.
B&B2
Oh, so you can be attracted to just about anyone,
no matter what they look like?
B&B1
Pretty much.


B&B2
Then how would I ever feel special?
B&B1
Special. Well that comes from the inside.
I don't need to see your face or your body to
know I'm attracted to you. I like the text on
your box well enough.
B&B2
Okay, but I am not physically attracted to text.
I have to be attracted physically to pursue anything

romantic, and I don't seem to have control over who
I'm attracted to. It just happens or it doesn't.
None of the other information matters,
if I'm not going to be attracted.
That's why I need to see you somehow, first.
I know I am attracted to certain things,
physically, and I'd like to be able to see you,
so I can gauge that before we spend much
more time with this...Could you take the box and bag off?
B&B1
I've already told you I'm attractive.
If you don't believe me, you must have trust issues.
I can't get involved with someone who's like that.
I deserve better.


B&B1
But I don't know you.
I don't know if I can believe what you say--
you're a virtual stranger to me.

B&B2

I can see that not only do you have trust issues,
but you're just shallow and superficial.
B&B1
Now wait just a minute! That's not fair.
You don't even know me.

B&B2
(walking away in disgust)
Forget it, you shallow bitch.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment