25 February 2011

Sex is Appalling, But Killing is Okay



Below, is a review posted on Amazon regarding my book, Achilles Forjan. As with the previous post about reviews of Unbearable Lightness of Being UNBEARABLE, it seems there is a tendency for people not to pay attention to what they buy. I added my comment on Amazon below her review... 

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been warned, May 4, 2010
By Rachel B. Beard
This review is from: Achilles Forjan (Paperback)
My grandson wants to be a firefighter.[1] He is a High school junior so I gave him this book for Easter. No where did I read it was 'sexually explicit"....he was facinated and I was appalled that I gave it to him!!


COMMENT: My apologies to Rachel Beard--but when shopping for a book for a grandson, note that Achilles Forjan was not listed in the Young Adult section...it's a book that includes the presence and activities of a serial killer, (among other things) yet, she was worried about sex content? Sex is a natural, healthy part of our lives, but being a killer isn't. I hope she will read the description more carefully, or else purchase something from the YA genre next time.

I would be glad to send Rachel a copy of my mainstream book, Baggage, as it is a family saga that is suitable for anyone who prefers stories about relationships and family, without anything sexually explicit. She might actually enjoy that one.

As for the Young Adult genre, I highly recommend James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. And for a YA interested in becoming a firefighter, why not set up a visit to local fire stations? He can then speak to those who do the job every day, and that would be a much more helpful set of information.
Best,
Kelli Jae Baeli
-------------------------------------
[1]  and by the way...there ARE NO firefighters in this book.




Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I love beautiful penmanship, especially those Chinese and 19th Century American Penmanship (www.geocities.jp/chinese_penmanship/). There was a little sadness to find that we are beginning to lose so much with texting and computers .....who will find THOSE treasures 100 years from now?

    ReplyDelete