05 July 2009

Comment on "Blogs aren't legit Writing" article

In my periodic Google search on my name, i found this comment which i forgot about:


Allena's Freelance Writing Blog
http://freelancewrite.about.com/b/2008/03/23/blogs-arent-legit-writing.htm
By Allena Tapia, About.com Guide to Freelance Writing

"Blogs Aren't Legit Writing"
Sunday March 23, 2008


I recently had a couple readers forward me a small rant from someone stating that blogs aren't legitimate writing. This person indicated that blogs were basically a way for people to see their name in print, and nothing else. I think this was the attitude of "if anyone can do it, than it's not legit."

The thing is, everyone can blog. But, everyone cannot blog well.

What makes a form of writing legit? I've heard people say that if you're paid for it, you're therefore a professional. I've been paid for blogging in my writing career- some very lucrative, TYVM. And, despite the informality of a blog, I've written some decent pieces in blog form.

Do you view blogging as legitimate writing? Why or why not?



12) Jae Baeli says:

First, always consider the source. For someone to make this comment, I would first ask, “Who says so?”

Second, it is never about the form the writing takes, but the quality of the writing in that form. Yes, anyone can write, but not everyone can write well.

I have 12 books in print and I blog just about every day. It’s a way to keep the juices flowing, but it’s also a legitimate form in and of itself. Anyone who thinks otherwise is, of course, entitled to their opinion, but I think he or she will find that serious writers object fiercely to this absolute. Almost nothing is absolute. Certainly not brains, as the critic you mentioned so brilliantly illustrates.

Jae Baeli





Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment