28 March 2010

Awkward.


Saturday, I was to meet this woman at Metropolis (for the first time).
When I stepped inside, a woman waiting at the counter turned, smiled at me and came toward me, as i said, "Rhonda?" (Not just as a courtesy, but because I couldn't believe this was her. She didn't look like her photo). But she said "yes" and shook my hand.

We chatted-- awkward small talk-- as I was trying to get over the fact that she was NOTHING like I thought she'd be. And she was tall and lanky and her voice was odd. Too low. She even looked a little mannish. I wondered if she was actually a tranny.

We stood at the counter waiting on our coffees, and soon another woman walked up and introduced herself and it seemed she was ALSO there to meet her. Increasingly awkward. It became apparent that this girl had overbooked. I made a joke about it, and made the best of it. (I had a moment where I wanted to say--okay, this is not cool. I think I'll be leaving." 
But then I thought maybe that was too harsh and I needed to reel in my attitude. We sat (the three of us) and chatted, and Rhonda seemed confused by the situation but didn't say much.
Still awkward.
Then, like a breath of fresh air, ANOTHER woman walked up to the table.

Another date?? i thought for just a nanosecond. You really need a personal assistant.
But I recognized this new one.
"Jae?" she said to me.
Rhonda. The genuine article.

Now I realized my date was standing by the table, not either of the women sitting down. She had not overbooked, she had merely misheard me when i called her name, and didn't say anything out loud to clear up the misunderstanding. What were the odds that I would meet a woman at 2pm, at a certain coffee shop on a certain day, and there would be another meeting there between two lesbians at exactly the same time?

We all got a laugh out of it. An awkward laugh.
Soon me and the Real Rhonda were at another table. She wanted the scoop on that situation. I told her what happened. She looked JUST like her picture and I was relieved. She was pretty, personable, and not the least bit mannish or oddly confused.
So from now on, I will never assume that the person I am meeting will be the only person there waiting on another person they are meeting.




Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment