12 April 2010

The Great Ant Crusades of 2010

Ants. Cute, when they're animated in a movie, not so cute when they are like invading armies all over your countertops. 

Several times a day now, I have to kill and remove the carcasses of the little black soldiers who find every tiny drop of anything edible. It makes me feel like I'm not a good housekeeper. 
 
But they sometimes congregate in a little circle in one spot, like it's an Ant Rave and someone has some X. I look and can't see anything to cause such excitement. So I'm off the hook on the housekeeping. If I can't see it after I've wiped the counter tops down, then it's not my fault, right? (I bet those with OCD never have ants. )

I have since discovered that good-old white vinegar, which I use for so many things, also repels ants. But that means they are going elsewhere. Maybe in my house...

And sure enough...
Today I woke to find them congregating on my desk. Big no-no. That felt more like an invasion than the ones on the counter tops in the kitchen. Then after cleaning my desk of the buggers, using vinegar, I later opened one of the drawers to get something, and saw them congregated in there. Probably having a come-to-Jesus meeting, since they had heard of my efforts in the kitchen and on the desktop....I pulled everything out of the drawer and sprayed vinegar and vacuumed again. Then, a few minutes later, I saw some crawling in and out underneath the keys of my keyboard...that's probably a lost cause. All manner of crumbs are up under there. I nearly always have my meals at my desk while I work. So I had to shake out my keyboard and vacuum again to try to pull all the goodies out of there. 

If that won't get them, then this blog will, I'm sure I'm pummeling to death the remaining ants under there.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment