16 May 2009

Herniated Disco: How the Bleep Do YOU Know?

Have been using affirmations lately, trying to have some control over my healing instead of feeling so victimized...been chanting those when i go for walks...and been watching my thoughts and trying to be positive.

My Netflix came yesterday with "What the Bleep Do We Know?" --I've seen it before, but am revisiting all kinds of ideas, hoping to find help...I watched it last night and want to watch again today. Trying to be open to anything that might help me heal from this, and from the emotional damage I've had for a while now...decided i should give the 'thoughts are things' and law of attraction stuff another try--not because i believe all of it, but because maybe i dismissed all of it when i should have only dismissed part...anything positive in my life right now can't be bad and might help. So i was about to watch it again and it wasn't going back to beginning so i had to stop the whole disk to restart and noticed that on Larry King, right there on the channel it happened to be on, there were four of those people from that film--talking about THOUGHTS ARE THINGS and how we create our own reality, etc. I could not ignore the synchronicity of that.. SO listening to those interviews, and will also watch the movie.

Here's the thing: While I am aware of scientific eividence to back up certain things like the benefits of positive thinking, and the mind-body connection, Belief systems predicated on schools of thought like "The Secret" and "The Law of Attraction" often omit any evidence for those beliefs--just as all religions do. When these various LOA gurus make comments like "We are vibrational beings in a vibrational universe, and we can create our own reality.." My first question is "Based on what evidence?" I know that we are, at our most reduced level, made of atoms. And i know that atoms vibrate. I also know that according to the infamous double-slit experiment, that molecules can be two different things, and in two different places, simultaneously. The mind-bending and bizarre field of quantum mechanics is often only understood by the theoretical physicists who study it, and so lends itself to a healthy dose of mumbo jumbo from laypeople; thus, I feel it is easy for those gurus to capitalize on it, take advantage of the confusion, and appear to be both wise and crazy--just like those molecules in the double-slit experiment.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment