21 August 2009

Show & Tell

I'm thinking about how you can't believe what people say,
only what they do.
And if all they do is say and never do,
then avoiding them is what I have to do.


No, I don't usually trust people right away. And with good reason. But this suspicion doesn't manifest in my reticence to make friends, nor my with-holding of laughter or affection or opportunity. It manifests in my head, where no one can see it. I give people enough rope, and they either hang themselves, or weave me a pretty basket. Either way, I have my answer.

If a person gives me every indication, in words and in manner, that they are interested in getting to know me, being part of my life somehow, they will have an open book to read. But if they don't follow through, all I can do is walk away. In this age of cyber-connections, it's easy to forget how to nurture real relationships. They require time and effort. They require giving part of yourself to that person, in trust that your heart won't be folded, spindled, or mutilated. This damage can happen whether romantic or platonic in nature.

I have enough healthy confidence to know that what i bring to any type of relationship is valuable and rare. It's too bad that there are people who don't appreciate it. When I say I want to get to know someone, I mean it. I want to share space with them, talk, laugh, share experiences. If a person would rather be alone, then that means they don't want to be with you, either. Show and Tell means showing, and telling.

I want to connect with you in other ways besides cyberspace, or a text message. I want the text messages to be few and only when needed or convenient, the phone calls to be a last resort, and to have us within touching distance be the primary way we interact. If a person can't offer that, then a person has nothing to offer. I can get that kind of one-dimensional pleasure by watching Brothers & Sisters.



Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: