13 August 2009

Stored Memories & Domestic Trivia

Yesterday, i went to Colorado Springs to start dealing with the storage i have there. It's been percolating for 7 years. Odd, how so much of it i didn't even recall having. Not that i remembered after i saw it--i mean, i saw it and still didn't remember having it.
Weirdness.

The first surprise was when i opened the door. For those of you my age and older, you might think "Fibber McGee's closet..." For the rest of you, I'm not sure what analogy you'd think of. But i needed a heavy duty shoehorn to start getting that stuff out.

The second surprise was how, all these years, i pictured it as a bigger room, and not packed so tight. Like i expected to be able to just walk in without moving anything. Funny, how our minds superimpose ideas that aren't even accurate. (That's why eye witnesses are considered the most unreliable testimony).

Picking through it, i had to open boxes to see what was in them, and it was very much like Xmas. I didn't know what i was going to find, and sometimes it was a pleasant surprise. Things i had forgotten, things that engendered good memories, things that made me maudlin. Photographs, bedding, art, books, my handwritten journals. All of it gave me some kind of emotion.

I've got lots of work to do this month, selecting what to keep and what to sell on Craigslist, and what to toss or donate.

My apartment, alas, is still not put together completely. It's hard for me to get all the things i need in the bedroom. Since i record music, write, sleep in this room, it's all packed in tight. If it becomes too claustrophobic, i may have to give up that great dining room table and use that spot for my office. I had this idea that i would have dinner parties.. Who am i kidding? That kitchen is meant for people who don't cook. No storage at all.

But I'm still happy I'm here.

I'll adjust to those domestic challenges and finally have the life i've wanted for so long. Colorado is a great place to have your mid-life crisis.

It's all good.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment