13 March 2008

Drag Shows are Aptly Named


Drag shows are aptly named. They are a drag.

Please don't ever expect me to join you at a drag show. I'd sooner perform an appendectomy on myself with a SPOON. And I'm GAY.



All gay bars have drag shows, because apparently, gay people en masse don't have anything else to offer in the entertainment realm. (Notwithstanding the Melissa Etheridge's and Ellen Degeneres's of the world--thank god for them). I'm not expecting a rendition of Bent, but Hell's Bells. Can't they do better than a same tired old stereotypical thing where men and women dress up as women and men and pretend to have talent? Can you pretend to play that unplugged electric guitar any more convincingly? It strikes me as some puerile backyard presentation to mom and dad by a bunch of 7 year olds. "Mom! Mom! Look what *I* can do!"

I know I'm just ripe for an attack from the Homo Hit Squad, but damn! Is being politically correct more important than being honest? I will never understand why people don't want to reach for more in their expressions of selfhood.

And there's another added confusion--is it just me, or is there something inherently wrong with lesbians getting excited about a man, pretending to be a woman? (Like they don't KNOW that under the sequins and fishnet stockings, resides a live, pulsing penis). And the same goes for the drag KINGS. Why would i get excited about a woman pretending to be a man? If I were sexually aroused by a man, I'd be straight.


And have you ever noticed how the audience at drag shows will applaud when the "performer" hits a money-note in the song? Um...hello! He's not REALLY singing, so why are you applauding that? The recording of the REAL singer can't hear you. It's a case of either the willing suspension of disbelief, or the unwitting suspension of rational thought. Either way, something vital is being suspended, and i just find it absurd. I just won't support that crap anymore. I'd rather eat my own brains.


Okay, Homo-Hit-Squad, release the hounds. And you guys try not to break a nail.
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Yes they are...Just what I want to do on a Saturday night...watch a bunch of drunk people throw dollar bills at men who have tucked and taped their little weewees up and women who have glued half their pubic hair to their upper lip...yeah buddy!! I won't let you go alone into the onslaught of the Homo Hit Squad alone dear seester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always been one of my favorite people.

    Like the sister i never had. But if you HAD a sister, that would mean she was your daughter, right? and that's just awkward.

    Thank you for your support, Sis.
    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would have to agree with you on this one, i just don't get what is so exciting about a man in some over the top outfit, his junk who knows where, and lesbians giving away there money. wouldn't a strip club with naked girls be more worth your dollar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so encouraging to know that other people understand what I mean, here....but i know there are many more than that who are offended by what I said. Jimmy crack corn, and I DON'T CARE. Doo Dah, Doo Daaaaah! Oops, I dropped my tiara...oh look, the floor's all glittery...

    ReplyDelete