31 March 2008

Me and Food are Filing for Divorce


I am tired of food.

Does that happen as you get older?
i did a search on Google, hoping for insight, and I couldn't find any information on this. Not finding something on Google is highly disturbing to me. You can ALWAYS find ANYTHING on Google. I assume I'm using the wrong key words.

But it does make sense that after 40-plus years alive, you've probably tried most everything at least once. But I feel I've tried everything, along with its variations, a hundred times.

I do eat as healthy as possible, and even when I stray from that, I'm still bored with food. Part of this is my inherent need for variety. I never allow myself to get bored in any area of my life, and rarely experience a feeling of boredom, because I have so many things to occupy my mind going on all the time. And food also falls into that category. I will hardly ever eat leftovers because "I've already had that." But now, it's gotten severe enough that I find grocery shopping takes twice as long because I agonize about buying this or that, knowing that I'm tired of it, and not being able to think of another option. There are only so many food groups.

I've had chicken, beef, pork, all veggies, all fruits, all dairy, all cereals, all versions of eggs, all sweets, (although I don't think sweets is considered a food group, unless you're a poor mother of 6 in the South.) And forget about going out--I've tried the usual Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, (most of the "eses") and some Greek, and some Mediterranean (whatever that is).
I don't like foods that are so spicy that they numb your tastebuds and make your eyes bleed, nor do I like bitter foods--(bok choy comes to mind--what a waste of a good leaf).

I feel I have simply had all I can stand from all there is to choose from. Am I missing something?

I even tried to grow a garden, hoping that fresh, unprocessed and toxin-free vegetables would make food taste new again. But the only area I have to grow in failed miserably because there wasn't enough direct sunlight. Out of the 100 plants i planted (and the boxes I built on stilts to make the process easier), I garnered one small tomato. It was delicious. But gone in one minute.

The only thing I imbibe that I continue to enjoy, is my coffee. It's my first craving when i wake up.
After that, the palatal enjoyment just goes downhill. (Now, if I was in a relationship, my first craving might be different. Nothing like a good morning cuddle. And anything else that might transpire after I have brushed my teeth).

So....Maybe I should date a chef.....but since I'm gay, that would be almost impossible, as I fear there are very few lesbian chefs around here. I still have trouble finding regular women I like well enough to date.

But I'm afraid that now I will look at weird things as possible food sources...flowers, bark, foam, soap, cat chow, doggie burgers, sparrows, groundhogs.....they probably all taste like chicken. But I know I would never get crazy with this, as some things are just repulsive--ala, Fear Factor. I once saw Survivorman eat a scorpion. Live, and kicking, and I thought I would hurl. Eating some things is just mental, plain and simple.

I've had the same menu of choices for over 40 years. So I'm convinced this is age-related--and not in a senility sort of way--senility might help, actually, because I would FORGET that I've had that particular food a hundred times, and it might, therefore, taste new again. (Wow, I bet that would make sex great too). Okay, now I'm actually considering the positive aspects of Alzheimer's.

I welcome any comments that might alleviate my food angst.

(And Georgie, I defy you to tell me you were just thinking the same thing...)



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment