02 February 2008

Et Tu, Brute?


"You blocks, you stones,
you worse than senseless things!
O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome..."
-Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)



I am regularly dismayed by human behavior. It seems more and more difficult to find emotionally stable people--people who have a firm grip on character and integrity, a working knowledge of truth. Some folks are just plain mean.

Tonight, for instance, a person i thought was my friend turned on me, and although i think i know why, it still doesn't make it easier to take. She was incapable of processing her emotions in a healthy way, and took her angst out on me. She chose to believe things that were not true, because it somehow explained the failure of our relationship; and effectively kept her from doing any self-examination. She then chose to inflict great personal harm and insult, with no provocation. If a certain switch gets flipped, people are capable of selecting the most harmful or hurtful things to say to you, with full knowledge that it will inflict pain. To make this action even more reprehensible, her accusation was no more than a hypocritical projection--she was guilty of that which she accused me. Psychology 101.

These are the people who look you in the eye and deny their ability to crush you, deflect your attempts to ease your mind, and destroy your faith in humankind. No matter how many times someone tells me "Oh, i would never treat you like that," I have come to realize that those words mean precisely nothing to me. This is a level of cruelty i am not willing to have in my life--from friend nor foe.

You are not what you say,
you are what you do.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment