13 February 2008

Maybe, Just Maybe I was Wrong.

In several previous posts, I expressed my doubt that Hillary would be elected.

Apparently, I might soon be dining on fricasseed crow.

My opinion was based on my underlying frustration and contention that the American voting public couldn't possibly be open minded enough to put a woman in the White House...now, I'm not so sure. And there is some indication that Obama could win. A black man whose first and middle names are awfully close to a certain Iraqi dictator and a terrorist....that alone, shocks me....could it be that people are seeing the real issues, now? Is it possible that people care more now?? Now that their lives have been turned upside down for the last 8 years?

If Hillary or Obama make it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and gets to sit in the Big Chair, I'll be one chipper constituent--even more chipper if it's Hillary, as I'm not quite as excited about Obama--but way happier than if it's John McCain, another freakin' Republican. I would love nothing better than for my earlier predictions to be WRONG. I'd love to have my faith in the voting public restored by an overwhelming outcry for change.

But for some time, I've been a naysayer about that possibility. As this election enthusiasm floods the nation, I can see that I could be wrong.....I was always really clear that when election time swung around again, I'd be SPRINTING to the polling station like a hungry cheetah, and casting my vote for the Democrat (though i am a registered Independent). I am so thrilled that the name BUSH won't even be on the ballot, that i do a happy-dance, even when no one is watching.

I'm convinced that Hillary is highly qualified, due to her unique experience, and though Obama says all the right things and is an accomplished orator, I feel he doesn't have enough practical experience yet, though he's appealing in many ways.....be that as it may, I still wonder if American voters are ready for either a woman or a black man in the Oval Office. I hope one of them is elected, however. I'm actually a little hopeful about it now, as trending indicates that voters are motivated these days. With good reason.

Some voters are motivated in an insipid direction--like those who started a "Lou Dobbs for President" website. It's insipid not because Dobbs is an unappealing choice (I frankly respect him and his personal and political stance) but these individuals fail to recognize that a non-politico doesn't run just because there's a petition asking him to...and even if he did, it's far too late for him to jump in, so this movement is an inane waste of time and resources that could be better served with the Dems who ARE running.

So i sit chewing my nails and squirming in my armchair, my voting hand all atwitter, hoping for that Historical event to come to fruition.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment