02 December 2007

Spiritual Soup For One


AS I have mentioned, I am not a Christian, and there are many reasons for this. (I am spiritual, however). I was a Christian for many years, even attended a Christian College, and later studied for several years under a Bible Scholar....to understand Christianity, you must study it, and by studying it, I learned that it is very much a product of a patriarchal society; it's predicated on misinterpretation, outright lies, fear and control....so this belief system simply did not answer my questions, and did not ring true, nor resonate with me ultimately in any beneficial way. (I can say this knowing that my very best friend is a Christian, and so is another friend...although perhaps not in a mainstream way--they are not Christians in an "irritating fashion." )

So often we hear in Christian dogma that God is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, perfect...then we hear something like "God would not want you to do that" or "You have broken god's heart" or "My god is an angry god" etc...the very concept set forth about who and what god is contradicts those sentiments....if god is all the Christians say "he" is, then nothing we can do will "hurt" god...that would imply god is human, with human emotions, and this cannot be true if "he" is also omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, perfect....so at the heart of Christianity, there is a contradiction, and that calls into question everything else. (There are many other things about Christianity that do not ring true, and this is of course a profound and voluminous subject, and I could cover merely a fraction these points, and it would not fit in blog entry, nor, perhaps, 1000 blog entries). I believe that "god" is not a person, or even merely a spirit or entity, but EVERYTHING... God is a flower, an emotion, a light, the universe, the earth, science, love, a thought--and resides within each of us as Higher Self. I believe "God-as-most-people-understand-god" is also much more than those things....Christians over-simplify the concept of what "god" is. While I do believe in the concept of intelligent design, and a higher power, I believe that "GOD" cannot be personified, nor reduced to what the Christian mainstream would have us believe. The manifestations of mainstream Christianity--to ME--are cheesy, immature, hateful, maudlin, self-serving, mindless and perilously close to oblivion...I also do not believe in Blind Faith as I feel we have the ability to reason and question for good reason, and that we are honoring ourselves and our antecedent (or "god", if you prefer) by honoring ourselves and evolving in the most sincere and loving way we can. This is a subject that lends itself to hours and hours of contemplation and discussion, so I will just leave it there for now...


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment