25 December 2007

Stupid & Happy VS. Smart & Troubled


I was asked, "Given the opportunity to choose between: (a). being delusional and believing in an intangible, even illogical, philosophy that brings you much peace and bliss or (b). seeing the "reality" of things and cutting straight into the truthful heart of all there is, yet along with that comes despair and grief . . . Which would you choose? Would you rather be "stupid and happy" or "smart and troubled"?

"Thou hast vexed me marvelous much," as Shakespeare would say. Questions like this tend to spiral me into the abyss of darkness and nail-biting. My addendum to this, (which seems to be more a preface, at the moment) reflects the objection I have to the suggested absolute that there must necessarily be Despair and Grief. . . I feel there are few, if any, absolutes on this earth plane. (Except maybe that a Krispy Kreme Glazed donut is manna from heaven). Nevertheless, I shall endeavor to respond with a sufficient amount of brain cellage...

One cannot know or appreciate joy without experiencing the depths of despair. Happiness via stupidity is an artificial happiness. To go STUPIDLY amid the noise and haste and know what peace there may be in IDIOCY, smacks of a big fat waste of energy and a sad frittering away of a lifetime meant for learning and evolution. Thus, I'll take Reality with a Truthful Heart of All There Is glaze, and a side of Despair and Grief. Since nothing short of severe head trauma would return me to ignorance, I am thus shackled/blessed with the task of creating the best result from the tools I have available to me. Reality is not always a tangible thing. Many things are real, and yet simultaneously invisible, misconstrued or beyond comprehension. Refer to Plato's Allegory of the Cave, String Theory, Unified Field Theory, the Power of positive thought, or wind for fine examples of this point.

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." I agree.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment